Post by Gabrielman on Jan 17, 2016 11:41:53 GMT -8
So as some of you already know, Dave and I have been hard at work on an Elder Scrolls VI video series on Youtube to discuss what we think the next game will be like, what we want from it, where it may be, what the story could be, and so on. This week we're trying to work on a video on what the guilds should be like in the next game, so stay tuned for that, but first, our other videos in the series! One is a positive speculation, the other is the Top Ten (10) things we want in The Elder Scrolls VI!
Post by Gabrielman on Jan 17, 2016 11:46:31 GMT -8
Here we talk about TES VI in a positive light... because you don't want to hear what I think it will really be like... that is coming though.... I don't trust Bethesda... or Todd Howard... because they keep making promises they won't keep... and that makes me sad. Still, there is hope! Fallout 4 was a mixed bag, maybe TES VI will actually be good!
We are also going to be doing videos for skills, weapons and armor, locations, magic, stealth, and much much more! So Stay tuned!!! Also, if anyone wants, we would be more than happy to have someone on one of these videos from here or our subs!
Post by Gabrielman on Jan 28, 2016 11:38:32 GMT -8
Our next video in the series! Guilds need to be given an entire overhaul if they want the next game to be any good! Next up, MAGIC!!!! Bwhahahahaha!
The Elder Scrolls VI
Today we’re going to be talking about what guilds should be like in TES VI. If Bethesda hopes to make the next Elder Scrolls game great, they’re going to have to go back to the style of games they had in earlier games. The guilds in Skyrim were abysmal at best. It was far too easy to join the guilds, and reaching the top rank was a piece of cake. It’s not like any old Joe can run the College of Winterhold, or the Companions, but Bethesda made it feel that way, by essentially handing the leadership over to the player with little work involved on the players behalf. Before you say “well they promote people who can get things done, so it makes sense”, let me ask you this, if you were the master of the Mage’s Guild, and some brute comes in and kills a few people for you, and knows nothing of the magical arts, are you going to entrust him with your guild and allow him to direct its future actives? If you’re smart, the answer is no, but that’s exactly how it is in Skyrim. Any old warrior without the slightest magical skill can now direct the guild. This isn’t what you would want, as he/she wouldn’t have the slightest clue on what to research, how to represent the guild, and what to do in order to advance the guild.
So here’s what needs to happen in TES VI for guilds to be great! In TES VI the guilds need to have more depth. There needs to be:
1. More guild halls. This can’t be over stated!
2. Wider variety of quests
3. Internal power struggles/politics
4. Better ranking system that doesn’t hand ranks to the player
a. Does the player have the right skills to progress?
b. Have they done enough quests?
c. Have they worked for the right people and built the right relationships up?
d. Did they ask for the rank? Don’t just force the player to take a rank they didn’t ask for.
5. Deeper quests. Quests that require more effort than going to kill someone, or find something.
6. There needs to be more guilds. Skyrim had 9 factions to join, 3 of which could not be ranked up in. (Companions, College, Thieves Guilds, Dark Brotherhood, Imperial Legion, Stormcloaks, Bards College, Dawnguard, Volkihar Vampire Clan) where as Morrowind had 16, 3 of which you could not rank up in, and two of which you were forced to join if you followed the standard MQ path. (All three great houses, Imperial Legion, Imperial Cult, Morag Tong, Tribunal Temple, Mage’s Guild, Fighter’s Guild, Thieves Guild, East Empire Company, Aundae/Berne/Quarra Vampire Clans, Blades, Ashlanders)
Over the course of your time in the guild, you should have to build up relations with the right people in power, while keeping relations with those below you good. What good is a high ranking official if you can’t keep those beneath you under your control? As you rank up, perhaps you can control a single guild hall for a time.
Once you reach the top, there should be a few things you should be able to do with that power and influence:
1. Give orders (this can also be the case at other high ranks)
2. Have them do a quest for you (like finding a book, or researching a spell/combat technique)
3. You should be able to promote people who serve the guild well, and slowly replace the higher ranking officials you don’t trust
4. Depending on the guild, you could have lower ranking members carry out personal things, like assassination of some high ranking official of a rival guild
5. Expel members who refuse to do guild work under you, or who are caught breaking guild rules (this could lead to a possible quest if they join your rival)
6. Promote your replacement. If you no longer wish to run the guild, you should be able to promote someone you trust to replace you, while still holding an honorary title in the guild. This also comes in handy if you join too many guilds.
A side note, you should also be limited to how many guilds you can run. It isn’t logical to think that one person can be the guild master of all of the guilds. There should be a cap.
Another thing we’d like to see is player created guilds. Once you have gained enough followers, and maybe swayed enough people to trust you and leave a guild to join yours, you can found your own. Perhaps you can even convince a bandit who you’ve defeated to join you. This would be a full commitment and may require you to leave the leadership of another guild due to conflict of interest, or due to people not feeling you are up to the task of running too many guilds and your own guild.
Finally, guilds need to be mutually exclusive. This was present somewhat in Morrowind with the great houses, but it needs to be more in depth.
1. Guilds need to have restrictions on what other guilds you can join
2. Racial requirements might be an interesting idea
3. Religious exclusiveness. This means no joining two religions
There could be a way around this, should you leave a guild you can join the rival if you can convince them you’ve truly changed and don’t want to help the other guild anymore, but ranking up would be harder. You could also pretend to defect from a guild, to join another rival guild so you can destroy them from the inside. This was somewhat present in Oblivion and can make the game a lot more interesting.
Last Edit: Feb 2, 2016 11:10:28 GMT -8 by Gabrielman
ConsumingFire: Glad you all are safe and stuff, and yes praise God! Now you can experience seasons!
Oct 21, 2015 20:05:07 GMT -8
Eclair: Well, we all made it to our new home! Praise God we are all safe, and with no speeding tickets! The house has a lot more goofy stuff wrong with it than we thought it would, so more expense . . . But the original house is good
Oct 20, 2015 16:57:56 GMT -8
ConsumingFire: Holy cow ...we've known each other for 5 years now, come August.
Jul 16, 2015 21:54:56 GMT -8
Gabrielman: Don't tell me how to live your life!
Jun 25, 2015 17:22:17 GMT -8
ConsumingFire: Woo! We just hit 777 total posts!
Jun 9, 2015 8:51:54 GMT -8
Eclair: Just wanted to say that Quagmire and Consuming Fire are doing a bang-up job on the funny pics thread. Love it!!
Apr 24, 2015 10:23:16 GMT -8
ConsumingFire: Yeah, it's kind of a given. :/
Apr 11, 2015 19:28:06 GMT -8
Eclair: He is risen indeed! And still is, as some Christians seem to feel the need to point out. I'm not sure of the point,actually.
Apr 11, 2015 15:53:51 GMT -8
Gabrielman: NICE! You need to keep us posted on that!
Apr 3, 2015 19:10:57 GMT -8
ConsumingFire: And although I'd like to go to OSU, I'm considering going to a junior college first. I had a tour of Umpqua Community College and it is great (especially the CS class).
Apr 3, 2015 19:10:31 GMT -8
ConsumingFire: YES IT DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!11! I am really looking forward to this opportunity.
Apr 3, 2015 19:09:02 GMT -8
Gabrielman: accounting takes a special kind of patience.... that'd be hard core to do! Computer science sounds fun though!
Apr 3, 2015 19:07:42 GMT -8
ConsumingFire: I would major in either accounting or computer science/information systems.
Apr 3, 2015 19:06:49 GMT -8
ConsumingFire: SS is set to call me on the 9th, and the JC rep said she'd call again next week, so now I wait.
Apr 3, 2015 19:06:14 GMT -8